Tales of the Cocktail Foundation is excited to announce that tickets are now on sale for Tales on Tour 2019 Puerto Rico Special Edition. This year's tour is an effort to help the territory rebuild through supporting the region’s spirits community and hospitality industry.
BUY YOUR TICKETS TO TALES ON TOUR PUERTO RICO!
MARCH 10th - 13th 2019
View the Tales on Tour Schedule
Tales of the Cocktail Foundation's 2019 Special Edition Tales on Tour focuses on service and giving back to the Puerto Rican community as they continue their recovery efforts from the Category 5 Hurricane Maria, the most devastating storm to ever hit the island, which made landfall in Fall 2017. Attendees can choose to volunteer their time from a variety of service projects, slated for Tuesday, March 12. (More information coming soon).
Tales on Tour 2019 continues our commitment to education with curated seminars moderated by industry leaders. Additionally, our Cocktail Apprentice Program (CAP) leadership team will be in Puerto Rico, not only to work their magic with event cocktails, but also, and most importantly, to mentor a select number of Puerto Rican bartenders who have been invited to apprentice with these talented and influential industry leaders
Come and be inspired by different views and challenges around Sustainability within the bar environment, but all with the same mindset- with the objective of instigating change.
At Michelin starred restaurant Fäviken far up in Northern Sweden, the climate and environment are a crucial part of how they deliver their food and drink concept. Only ingredients found around them are to be used - Learn how Hampus prepares ahead for the snow-covered seven-month winter for the cocktail bar Svartklubb by Fäviken.
How does the environment affect what cocktails are served - how, why and techniques of the world’s only bar “beyond the wall” (that we know of...)
Trash Tiki will be inspiring you to get involved in applying easily implementable hacks within your bars that are both beneficial to the environment, our industry and your bottom line. Things that you can easily do TODAY to be part of the change.
Sustainability can be an overwhelming topic, but we hope we will make it less daunting and more accessible for everyone – the smallest act can make a big impact and you can have fun and be inventive along the way.
Join Bex Almqvist from Absolut Vodka, Trash Tiki's Iain Griffiths <3 Kelsey Ramage and Hampus Thunholm from Svartklubb by Fäviken as they spirit you away in a fun sustainable world of new thinking, delicious drinks, biodegradable confetti, practical demonstrations and generally a dope seminar on how you can make a change.
- Iain McPherson with Roberto Berdecia, Jeff "Beachbum" Berry, and AK Hada
- Presented by Tales of the Cocktail Foundation
- While it's true there is no elevator to the top in the bar business – you have to take the stairs – you CAN skip a few steps ahead if you take the advice of our all-star panel of successful bar operators! Iain McPherson owns a string of award-winning bars (Panda & Sons, Hoot the Redeemer, Nauticus) in his native Edinburgh and recently opened celebrity hangout Duello in Los Angeles. AK Hada is the head bartender of the legendary speakeasy PDT in New York, a job that comes with heavy expectations, but also the opportunity to keep a beloved bar concept innovating and developing after more than a decade. Roberto Berdecia has created La Factoria which defies all expectations to be the Caribbean’s first-ever entrant in the World’s 50 Best Bars and which consequently put Puerto Rico on the map for cocktailians everywhere. Also joining the panel is one of Imbibe magazine’s “25 Most Influential Cocktail Personalities of the Past Century," Jeff “Beachbum” Berry, author, tiki historian, and owner of New Orleans' Beachbum Berry's Latitude 29.
- Maggie Campbell with Ian Burrell, Roberto Serralles, and David Wondrich
- Presented by Don Q
- Rum has woven in and out of our global history for centuries. From the rowdy "rumbulion" in the 1600s, the rum runners of prohibition, tropical tiki lifestyles, to today's fine drams (and the fact that 4 of the world’s top 20 best-selling classic cocktails are rum-based) it has been a long and long and complicated journey. Join our panel of experts to get our best reading of what really did happen back then, hear the latest on what is happening across the globe today, and hear our takes as we do some scrying in our rum filled crystal ball of the future. Covering the past is New York’s David Wondrich, who may well be the world’s foremost spirits and cocktail historian, steeped in rum history and a tremendous fan of a well-made punch. To share what’s going on in bars and distilleries right now, step forward the peripatetic London-based Rum Ambassador Ian Burrell, who rockets around the globe non-stop sniffing out new rum distilleries from Mumbai to Melbourne and all points in between, and who just opened the first of a chain of Caribbean restaurants in the UK together with sprinting legend Usain Bolt. For the future, look no further then local Puerto Rican hero Roberto Serralles of Don Q Rum, who has already taken the family firm into the future by building the distillery’s revolutionary low-impact wastewater plant. Keeping it all on track and injecting her own hard-won knowledge of the rum business acquired while building a new legacy in hand crafted spirits at Privateer Rum in the US is President and Head Distiller Maggie Campbell, from Massachusetts.
Hotel El Convento
100 Cristo Street, Old San Juan, Puerto Rico 00901
We will be hosting our seminars and brand lounges at Hotel El Convento. Click the link below access special pricing when you book your stay!
Cocktail Apprentice Program
The Cocktail Apprentice Program is an exclusive mentorship program for up-and-coming bartenders to learn alongside some of the biggest names in the business during Tales of the Cocktail on Tour.
Application period is now closed.
Application Period: December 5, 2018 - January 6, 2019
*Only open to working bartenders currently residing in Puerto Rico.*
*All applicants will be notified by February 7, 2019*
Questions about the Cocktail Apprentice Program? Email CAP@talesofthecocktail.org
- Access to all seminars via a dedicated stand by line
- Unlimited access to all daily events (credential wristband required)
- Invitations to select By Invitation Only night events (Pre-RSVP required!)
- Preferred access to presenters and attendees you would like to interview and our assistance in contacting them.
- All working media are eligible. It is recommended that you have a confirmed assignment.
- Unfortunately, no. Each member of your team will need to fill our their own application to answer all necessary questions.
- Yes! As much as we would like to take all applicants, we have a limited number of credentials available. The review is greatly weighted on the content and thoroughness of the application.
Tales on Tour is great sponsorship opportunity for companies big and small. Whether you have participated in New Orleans or any Tales event, our dedicated team is available to walk you through the event and find the best fit for your goals.
Please contact Partners@TalesoftheCocktail.org for inquiries, questions, or concerns!