Gn Chan, who moved from Taiwan to the States four years ago and started his career at the legendary Angel's Share in New York, was raised in a family that did not drink. Last year, on a trip to Santiago de Cuba, he was inspired to create the Venceremos, a twist on the piña colada that draws inspiration from Cuban cocktail culture while recalling a classic Asian flavor combination, cucumbers with sesame.
Last night, Gn's Bacardí cocktail took home the glory (and the trophy) at this year's Bacardí Legacy Global Cocktail Competition, one of the highest honors in the bartending community.
Learn more about Gn's inspiring journey below, and recreate his globally recognized cocktail for yourself:
- 11⁄2 part Bacardí Carta Blanca
- 1⁄2 part coconut liqueur
- 5⁄6 part pineapple juice
- 1⁄2 part cucumber juice
- 1⁄6 part lime juice
- 1 dash sesame oil
Shake and strain.
- 1.6 Classic Vermouth Cocktails That Deserve Your Respect
- 2.TOP 10 NOMINEES FOR THE 13TH ANNUAL SPIRITED AWARDS® ANNOUNCED
- 3.REGIONAL TOP 10 HONOREES FOR THE 13TH ANNUAL SPIRITED AWARDS® ANNOUNCED
- 4.The Bartender’s Guide to Taking Care of Your Feet, Part Two: Shoes
- 5.TICKETS NOW ON SALE FOR TALES OF THE COCKTAIL 2019