Alberto Melendez shares this drink from La Central, one of the most notable cocktail bars in Puerto Rico. This cocktail is one of their signatures, and it's named for the delicate, aromatic native tropical fruit on which the recipe is based. "Pomarosa is a well balanced drink that walks the line between a classic spirit-forward American cocktail and a refreshing tropical drink, with a delicate balance of floral and citrus notes," says Melendez. "The Pomarosa, in English known as Rose Apple, is a rare pear-like tropical fruit whose flavor is subtle, but in floral aromatics is delightful. Using modern clarification techniques, the subtle flavors and aromas are extracted and carefully blended with the spirits."
Melendez emphasizes that, when working with the pomarosa for this recipe, the seeds should be removed but the skin needs to be left intact. "The skin is what gives the cocktail it its hue and also its main component which is its floral scent."
- 11⁄2 ounce Hendrick's Gin
- 3⁄4 ounce St-Germain Liqueur
- 1⁄2 ounce Dolin Blanc
- 1 ounce clarified pomarosa juice (recipe below)
- lemon zest
Stir and serve in coupe glass. Garnish with fresh pomarosa slice.
To make clarified pomarosa juice:
"To clarify, I used agar and the freeze-thaw method from Dave Arnold's 'Liquid Intelligence'," says Melendez.
- Hydrate 2 g of agar in 250ml of water.
- Processe 750g of pomarosa, having sliced and removed seeds first.
- Pour pomarosa puree over hydrated agar and stir thoroughly.
- Place in sealed container, then freeze. Place chunk of frozen puree over cheesecloth draped and secured over large container. As it defrosts overnight, juice drips down and is collected. Finally, the whole thing is given a good squeeze at the end to extract as much juice possible. The juice stays good for about a week.
- 1.Jennifer Colliau Schools Us on Cocktail History, the Daisy and More
- 2.Overheard at Tales: The Best Pics, Quotes, Tweets, and Drinks from Day 2
- 3.Overheard at Tales: The Best Pics, Quotes, Tweets, and Drinks from Day 3
- 4.Tales of the Cocktail® Announces the Top 4 Finalists for the 2017 Spirited Awards®
- 5.Michael Ian Black to Host the 2017 Spirited Awards®