The Last Pickle
Out of the over 300 entries submitted in the 2017 Official Cocktail Competition, Selina Ardan of New York's Maison Pickle placed as one of the seven runners-up, all of which tied at only one point less than the winning entry.
Ardan cites her workplace as a major inspiration for her briny take on the martini: "I work for Maison Pickle where we take pride in our pickles that you can eat and drink! Our house martini uses pickle brine and pickled peppers for a unique and savory combination. My recipe is a rift on this taking a more Asian inspiration and warm weather direction. It's no secret that Hendricks and cucumber are great friends, so why not add a salty hint of pickle? This martini is meant to be sipped easier than a traditional martini, but still carry the full gin flavor!"
- 2 ounces Hendrick's Gin
- 1 ounce Dolin Dry Vermouth
- 3 dashes Bitter Truth Cumumber Bitters
- 4 pieces quick pickled watermelon, recipe below
- 1 piece quick picked watermelon rind, recipe below
In a cocktail shaker, thoroughly muddle 4 cubes of pickled watermelon. Add Hendricks gin, Dolin Dry, and Cucumber bitters. Fill shaker with ice and vigorously shake. Double strain cocktail first into Nick and Nora glass and then into sidecar. Serve with one piece of the pickled rind on the side. Cheers!
Quick Pickled Watermelon:
Cube seedless watermelon and rind and place in separate quart containers. Simmer equal parts honey, apple cider vinegar, and water with pickling spice and salt until dissolved. Cover both watermelon and rind with pickling liquid and let sit overnight in the refrigerator.
- 1.Motherhood for a Bartender: How the Industry Becomes Your Village
- 2.6 Classic Vermouth Cocktails That Deserve Your Respect
- 3.Aisha Tyler Likes Her Cocktails Classic, Strong and Bottled
- 4.The Bartender’s Guide to Taking Care of Your Feet, Part Two: Shoes
- 5.Meet the Man Behind Instagram's Fastest-Growing Cocktail Account