Juicy Whiskey Sour
The Whiskey Sour has a long, storied history in American drinking — this particular one gets a splash of orange juice.
The Whiskey Sour is one of the more historical drinks in American cocktail history. As David Wondrich so eloquently points out in his James Beard award-winning cocktail book, Imbibe!, the Whiskey Sour in its prime was "one of the cardinal points of American drinking..." It has taken many shapes and forms throughout time, per the tradition of family, culture, and geography, but this riff on Dan Sabo's Whiskey Sour (which includes orange juice) is one that I thoroughly enjoy.
I'll be drinking it throughout the holidays as a crisp, smooth, palate-cleanser. The main ingredient and technique separating this cocktail from its original recipe is that it's juice-shaken with two of Herb & Lou's infused blood-orange ginger ice cubes (which make a great holiday gift, FYI).
The Juicy Whiskey Sour
- 2 oz Bulleit Rye
- 1 oz lemon
- 1/2 oz orange juice
- 1/2 oz Demerara syrup
- 1 egg white
- 2 Herb & Lou's "The Cooper" infused ice cubes
Directions: Include all ingredients (excluding ice) into shaker. Dry shake for 20 seconds, then add 2 Herb & Lou's "The Cooper" cubes and fill with ice. Wet shake until chilled, double-strain into double-rocks glass and garnish with lemon zest and orange wheel.
- 1.TALES OF THE COCKTAIL FOUNDATION ANNOUNCES 13TH ANNUAL SPIRITED AWARDS® WINNERS
- 2.6 Classic Vermouth Cocktails That Deserve Your Respect
- 3.TOP 4 FINALISTS FOR THE 13TH ANNUAL SPIRITED AWARDS® ANNOUNCED
- 4.TALES OF THE COCKTAIL FOUNDATION ANNOUNCES 2019 GRANTS RECIPIENTS
- 5.TOP 10 NOMINEES FOR THE 13TH ANNUAL SPIRITED AWARDS® ANNOUNCED