El Burro Catalan
This creative update on the Moscow Mule, from Angel Teta of Portland's Ataula, is the official winner of our 2016 cocktail competition. Tales of the Cocktail received more than 400 submissions from around the world and were judged by a panel of cocktail experts including Alex Day, Jessica Gonzalez, Nicholas Jarrett, Dan Sabo and Matt Seiter. "Every fine drinking establishment needs a Moscow Mule these days, be it a dive or a proper restaurant bar," says Teta. "I found that adding sherry dried the ginger beer out quite nicely and added a slight salinity that makes you want to snack on something. This was a perfect fit for my program, as we are a Catalan inspired tapas spot with incredible food. The cranberry I use is Starvation Alley Farms, a 100 % organic fresh pressed cranberry that has such a vibrant flavor, it makes for a fantastic mule variation with an time-tested classic flavor pairing."
- 1.75 ounces Absolut Elyx
- .75 ounce Cigarrera Manzanilla Sherry
- .25 ounce Starvation Alley Fresh Pressed Cranberry
- .25 ounce natural cane syrup (1:1)
- .25 ounce lemon juice
- 2 dashes Angostura Bitters
- 1.75 ounces Fever Tree Ginger Beer
Shake all ingredients together except Fever Tree, double strain into copper mug, add ginger beer, and top with pebble ice. Add two shorty straws and garnish with expressed and manicured lemon peel wrapped around 4 skewered dried cranberries, and two short skinny stir straws.
- 1.Jennifer Colliau Schools Us on Cocktail History, the Daisy and More
- 2.The Fascinating Story of Frank Meier, France's Nazi-Fighting Bartender Spy
- 3.6 Classic Vermouth Cocktails That Deserve Your Respect
- 4.The Bartender’s Guide to Taking Care of Your Feet, Part Two: Shoes
- 5.How To Make Falernum, the Classic Tiki Staple