Echo in the Desert
Trip Sandifer (@tripsandifer) of Atlanta's Painted Pin describes his cocktail tribute to Taiwanese author Sanmao through the lens of the cultural trends that influenced her writing: "This cocktail is a blend of ingredients reflecting those cultural contributions: Spanish almonds highlighting the nutty notes of the Apry; green tea from Asia emphasizing the stone fruit; and cardamom, ubiquitous from North Africa to India, providing resinous minty notes to unify the fruit and spice of the liqueur."
Sandifer's cocktail will be featured at the Toast to Herstory competition at this year's Tales of the Cocktail, where attendees will have the opportunity to sample each finalist's drink and vote on the winner. For a chance to show your support for the great women of history (while sipping on some incredible cocktails), you can buy tickets for the event here.
- 2 ounces Marie Brizard Apry
- 1 ounce unsweetened almond milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon matcha powder
- 3⁄4 ounce lemon
- dash cardamom bitters
Shake. Double strain to cocktail glass.
Garnish with cardamom and lemon rose.
- 1.Jennifer Colliau Schools Us on Cocktail History, the Daisy and More
- 2.The Bartender’s Guide to Taking Care of Your Feet, Part Two: Shoes
- 3.Tales of the Cocktail® Announces the Top 4 Finalists for the 2017 Spirited Awards®
- 4.7 Ways to Add Smoke to a Cocktail
- 5.An Open Letter to the Tales of the Cocktail® Community