Official Cocktail Competition
Tales of the Cocktail 2017 will be the Year of the Martini. This year we’re challenging bartenders from around the world to reimagine this most classic of cocktails for a chance at having their creation named the Official Cocktail of Tales of the Cocktail 2017. Your recipe must have a base spirit of either a sponsoring vodka or gin, and must also include vermouth.Follow these guidelines when concocting your submission to the 2017 Official Cocktail Competition
- Each recipe must feature at least 2 products from the partner list provided. Bartenders can layer and split spirits as they see fit.
- Each recipe must feature either gin or vodka as the main ingredient/base spirit and MUST come from the list of participating products.
- Each recipe must include vermouth.
- No more than 4 ingredients (including garnish) per recipe.
- Homemade ingredients are welcomed, but must be easily replicable.
Erick Castro, New York/California
Partner at Simple Serve
Rachel Ford, Brooklyn
CEO at Ford Marketing Lab
Robert Hess, Seattle
Cocktail Evangelist, Author and Co-Founder of The Museum of the American Cocktail
Agostino Perrone, London
Director of Mixology at the Connaught
Rules for the Tales of the Cocktail Official Cocktail Competition:
- This Competition is open to ANY bartender currently working in the bar, restaurant or spirits industry. (US & International)
- This is an online competition. You do not need to be present to compete or win.
- Each participant shall use the official entry form online at TalesoftheCocktail.com.
- Recipe submissions shall be original creations.
- Recipes shall be expressed in ounces, drops, or dashes and scaled for a single serving.
- The base spirit (gin or vodka) MUST come from the list of participating products.
- Your cocktail must utilize at least one other ingredient from the list of participating products.
- You can use more than one spirit in your cocktail (but you MUST use vermouth and either gin or vodka).
- Recipe must include a detailed description of the garnish if there is one.
- All ingredients utilized should be expected to be available to most bars or easily acquired/made.
- All ingredients should be available year-round, so nothing too seasonal. And all ingredients should be obtainable — or should be able to be made from scratch — without undue difficulty or expense anywhere within the continental US.
- Cocktails made with inappropriate ingredients will be disqualified with determination of what constitutes an inappropriate ingredient up to the discretion of the staff of Tales of the Cocktail and the judging committee.
- Cocktails will be judged on Originality, Use of product, Taste, and Presentation.
- Submitting a photo of your cocktail with the recipe is optional.
The winning recipe will receive the following:
- First prize-winner will receive $1,000 cash and be the “Official Cocktail” of Tales of the Cocktail 2017.
- The "Official Cocktail" will be announced at Toast to Tales of the Cocktail on Tuesday and will be featured at a local bar during the week of Tales of the Cocktail.
- The winning recipe will be featured on TalesoftheCocktail.com and featured in the Tales of the Cocktail newsletter and all of our social networks.
Timeline for the Tales of the Cocktail Official Cocktail Competition 2017:
- March 15, 2017: Competition goes live on TalesoftheCocktail.com
- May 1, 2017: Deadline to submit recipes
- June 1, 2017: Winner and top three announced
- July 18, 2017: Winner presented with check at Toast to Tales Kick Off Press Event