TALES OF THE COCKTAIL® 2014 OFFICIAL COCKTAIL COMPETITION: TAMING THE HURRICANE
For the 2014 Cocktail Competition, Tales of the Cocktail is getting back to its New Orleans roots by celebrating one of the city’s most renowned cocktails: The Hurricane. A legend of the French Quarter since the 1940s, the Hurricane has become a staple in bars around the world. Now we’re challenging bartenders to pay homage to this classic cocktail with their own creations.
The Hurricane hails from Pat O’Brien’s on Bourbon Street. Whiskey was in short supply after WWII, while liquor distributors were overstocked in rum; their solution was to force bars to buy a case of rum with every Scotch purchase. Legend has it that Pat O’Brien’s head bartender, Louis Culligan, came up with the Hurricane as a way to get rid of all that rum. Culligan revealed his recipe to “Cabaret” magazine in 1956: 4 ounces of gold rum, the juice of 2 lemons, and 2 ounces of “Fassionola,” a brand of bottled red passion fruit mix.
How you reinterpret this drink for 2014 is up to you, but in order not to stray too far from the original concept, your recipe must follow these three rules:
- Your base spirits must include (but are not limited to) at least one rum.
- Your sweetening agents must include (but are not limited to) passion fruit.
- It doesn’t matter how you get there, but the color of your drink should be red — or at least reddish, which is one of the hallmarks of the Hurricane. So is the Hurricane’s signature curvaceous tall glass; bonus points for crafting a drink that looks good in one.
- Rules for the Tales of the Cocktail® Official Cocktail Competition:
- Competition is open to any bartender currently working in the bar, restaurant or spirits industry.
- Each participant shall use the official entry form online at TalesoftheCocktail.com
- All recipes shall be original creations.
- Recipes shall be expressed in ounces, drops, or dashes and scaled for a single serving.
- Your cocktail must utilize at least one of the participating products.
- Recipe must include a detailed description of the garnish.
- All ingredients utilized should be expected to be available to most bars or easily acquired/made.
- All ingredients should be available year-round, so nothing seasonal. And all ingredients should be obtainable — or should be able to be made from scratch — without undue difficulty or expense anywhere within the continental US.
- Cocktails made with inappropriate ingredients will be disqualified with determination of what constitutes an inappropriate ingredient up to the discretion of the staff of Tales of the Cocktail® and the judging committee.
- Cocktails will be judged on Originality, Use of product, Taste, and Presentation.
- You do not need to be present to compete or win.
The winning recipes will the following:
- The first place recipe will be named the “Official Cocktail” of Tales of the Cocktail® 2014
- The Official Cocktail will be in the Toast to Tales of the Cocktail® Press Conference and in the official program.
- The first place recipe will be featured with photography in the Mutineer Magazine and Mutineer online publication
- The top three winning recipes will be featured in on TalesoftheCocktail.com and featured in the Tales of the Cocktail® newsletter which reaches over 20,000 readers.
Timeline for the Tales of the Cocktail® Official Cocktail Competition 2014:
Friday, April 25, 2014: Deadline to submit recipes
Thursday, May 8, 2014: Winner and top three announced